Smokey gear change

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

fergy150
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400H/ZX6RB1H

Smokey gear change

Post by fergy150 »

Hi Guys everytime I shift up and down gears there's a puff of white smoke that comes out the exhaust, bikes a 89 zxr with 42k on clock and who knows what mods to it. Its not leaking oil, been monitoring water levels and they haven't changed, revs fine and goes like sh*t of a shovel. Should I be concerned?
JamieNeve
My Bike: CBR600RR, ZXR400 L-2

Smokey gear change

Post by JamieNeve »

Is it just a small puff, or does it seem excessive? White smoke generally means coolant, and therefore headgasket, however your coolant is not dissapearing. It is quite common for there to be a small puff when changing, or when releasing the throttle so I wouldn't be too worried if it is only a small amount. If you want to put your mind at rest, do a compression test to check if the headgasket is sealing!
fergy150
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400H/ZX6RB1H

Re: Smokey gear change

Post by fergy150 »

JamieNeve wrote:Is it just a small puff, or does it seem excessive? White smoke generally means coolant, and therefore headgasket, however your coolant is not dissapearing. It is quite common for there to be a small puff when changing, or when releasing the throttle so I wouldn't be too worried if it is only a small amount. If you want to put your mind at rest, do a compression test to check if the headgasket is sealing!
Thanks. No its not excessive, just a fairly small puff everytime you change gear and doesn't do it when you release the thnrottle. Thought I'd ask just incase!