H1 Mod and Makeover

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Chazzman_bm
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

H1 Mod and Makeover

Post by Chazzman_bm »

Hi folks,

I've decided that I need a bit of a project and my H1 is going to be it. It's been stock for way too long and I want to make it a bit special. So I've been thinking about doing a parts swap with a 2005-2006 ZX-6R; specifically, a complete front end swap, complete rear end swap including swingarm and engine swap. I have no idea if this will work and I'm sure there will be mechanical headaches but I think it'll be fun.

I'm interested in hearing from the brave, crazy and/or wise ones who have done any (or all) of the above modifications to their bikes.

Thanks.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: H1 Mod and Makeover

Post by CaNsA »

Chazzman_bm wrote:a parts swap with a 2005-2006 ZX-6R; specifically, a complete front end swap, complete rear end swap including swingarm and engine swap.
Parts of a bike:-
Front end
Frame
Engine
Rear end

Just buy a zx6r...
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Chazzman_bm

Post by Chazzman_bm »

CaNsA, that would be the sensible and easy option but that's not entirely possible where I live and also not the idea of the project. Thanks for the advice though.

Even if I don't do the engine swap, I want to change the front end rear ends to achieve a few of the project goals. Specifically to change the look of the bike, use custom and wider wheels and improve braking and suspension.

So yeah, it's just something I want to do really.
Chazzman_bm

Post by Chazzman_bm »

So does anyone know if the front end and swingarm from an 05-06 ZX-6R would fit the H1?

What I want to do is create my own interpretation of a retro-modern Supersports racer for the road. I'm into modifying old bikes and turning them into something special. Everybody needs a hobby I guess.

Thanks.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Chazzman_bm wrote:So does anyone know if the front end and swingarm from an 05-06 ZX-6R would fit the H1?

What I want to do is create my own interpretation of a retro-modern Supersports racer for the road. I'm into modifying old bikes and turning them into something special. Everybody needs a hobby I guess.

Thanks.
Fork length should be OK - you'll need the H pin but onto the ZX lower clamp though.

Lot of Kwak bikes use the same dimension width wise for swingarm so you might get lucky , ZXR7's don't fit though but my GPz900 arm does ! I could also fit a ZRX1100 arm but might look a bit crazy :smt005

Stock engine you might need an off set front sprocket so an engine swap should negate this but just give you a headache with fitting :smt005

Good luck on the project :smt004
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Dominik
My Bike: Zxr 400 L3

Post by Dominik »

Hi,
the Fork will fit fine but it is slighty longer than the 400´s. The fork of the Zx6r from 03-05 will also fit nevertheless it is even longer than the other.

I don´t know if the swing arm will fit perfectly but it will get very interesting since you have the chance to loose the 'braking moment arm' (sorry for that, how do you call it in english? :D). By the way, i have the caliper+ pump (of this model, used) for sale if your interested.
For the rear shock you have to change the zxr´s rear frame. However this is not a big problem, depending on how you want the rear to look like ;)

Greets from Germany
Zxr 400 SL - 130kg
Chazzman_bm

Post by Chazzman_bm »

Guys,

Thanks very much for the advice and I'm glad to hear that it is possible. Newer forks and swingarm will offer me more wheel choices and help a lot with changing the overall look of the bike; I'm not a fan of the rear brake arm/caliper setup.

Cheers.
Bleb
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Bleb »

Hi, I'm sure that there are old threads on the site regarding the engine swap- not simple...
On the looks front there was a 400 featured in a couple of mags (PB, Classic Mech?) with the latest 6/10R plastics from Tyga, which looked classy!
Good Luck though.