Something wrong with my ZXR-400 L-1 please help!

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

zxr4005
My Bike: zxr 400 l-1

Something wrong with my ZXR-400 L-1 please help!

Post by zxr4005 »

Hello, basicly I left my bike outside my house during a few days of rain, my ignition was playing up, it would start from the battery but when I switch the ignition off and take the keys out nothing cuts out, all lights and engine would still run, that's not my issue anymore, but now my bike won't even try to crank from the battery start, I paid for a new battery same thing has happened, I can only bump start it when my light are on full and with choke on, as soon as I turn the lights off the engine cuts out even when I'm going 60 mph in gear! The lights constantly flicker, engine jults as if it wants to cut out when I open her up, I'm guessing its lack of spark, but I don't understand why it will only bump start with the lights on, it was working fine a week ago, would start off the battery no problem, then this happened so I guessed it was the battery so replaced still no luck, if any body has any ideas to the problem it will be much appreciated as I need to sell it asap if I cannot fix! Someone please help, I love this bike its my pride and joy and miss riding it:( thank you!
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Something wrong with my ZXR-400 L-1 please help!

Post by banner001 »

gonna need a bit more information, and a bit more punctuation and full stops to really understand your problem.

if its consistently cutting out when you turn the lights off you've got a short somewhere as the lights and ignition are two completely different circuits, you need to make a list of what works, what doesnt and post it up here.

even simple electrics like this bike can be a nightmare to resolve issues unless we know which circuits are fine and which are not.

its an L1, is it an import, uk spec, an ex-racer? does it look like standard wiring loom or has someone taken a crack at it at some point?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
zxr4005

Post by zxr4005 »

its uk spec, the ignition is working fine now

just have no power from battery at all,

nothing works when its not started, i can only bump start it, no electric start because of no power.

its will only bump start when the lights are on full, once its started it does idle but front and back lights flicker, if i pull front break while idle the headlights brighten up until i release the break, indicators blink very fast, if i turn the lights to mid the engine slows down even when idle, its almost a rattling sound, if i turn the lights off completely the whole engine cuts straight out even at speed and in gear,

if i leave the bike to idle for 20-30 mins then turn ignition to turn off, it cuts out fine, if i turn again to start, there's no power in the dials, no lights, the horn doesn't even work, it works slightly when the engine is running, i automatically thought its the battery as i opened the cells and they were bone dry, so i replaced it and have the same problem, iv been told to find the earth point and re-sand it, but same issue, also when the engine is running and put in to gear to ride off, the rev counter and speedo just goes all over the place, i am certain its an electrical issue, but i have no idea how it ac-cured as it was absolutely fine a week ago,

so lights work on full beam when engine is running
the horn sounds like it wants to work, gets louder as i rev
front lights brighten when i pull the front brake, while engine is running
i get the neutral gear light when engine is started,
indicators work, but blink very fast, only work when engine is started,
mid beam lights just makes bike very sluggish

can i post a video on here?

if you can help that would be wonderful! hope this explains it a bit better
zxr4005

Post by zxr4005 »

Does anyone have a solution? Thank you!
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Remove fuse box, take inside - keep in totaly warm condition - use hair dryer

Once it is bone dry - install and see what happens
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
zxr4005

Post by zxr4005 »

Okay thanks I will try that! I will tell you want happens around lunch time! Thank you
zxr4005

Post by zxr4005 »

that did not seem to work, i thought it would be a dead battery, so replaced, went dead again:( so i took the battery off and tried to bump start it, it did not start :( does that mean my alternator has gone? if so, where can i get one cheap? or has anyone got any information on how i could try to fix this myself? will be very much appreciated! thanks for help guys!
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Check the main site for guide on checking the alternator