Moderator: Moderators

Jack94x
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: 2002 ZXR 400 L9

Aftermarket Rear Hugger?

Post by Jack94x »

Hi all
Thinking of replacing the original rear hugger on my L9 because I think it's a pretty stupid design considering it's a mud guard but has big holes in it. The only one I can seem to find on the internet is a Skidmarx one (http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/skidm ... ugger.html).
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this in terms of quality and fitment compared the the standard one?
Cheers.
Jack
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Aftermarket Rear Hugger?

Post by banner001 »

I've not used their hugger, but skidmarx make good plastics so you will be fine. Not sure about their Kawasaki green, you might wanna ask them for a swatch so you can colour match it. Let us know what you find.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

skidmarx stuff is quality, got some H fairing panels by them and they are really good.

have what i believe to be one of their carbon huggers.. is very nice, longer than stock.. not actually much lighter, but doesnt have holes.. fits perfectly.

Jack94x
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jack94x »

I Contacted Skidmarx about their hugger to see if they could send me some pics so I could compare the design to the original. Although they couldn't send me any, they did say that the design was an exact copy of the original. When I asked if that meant that it had holes in it like the original and sent them this picture (of what I believe to be the standard hugger) they said that this wasn't original and that it had been modified because the standard one doesn't have holes in it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers.
Jack
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

some had holes, some didn't, ive examples of both here, think it was later ones that had holes, one off my L1 doesnt, my L4 did and my M4.. err didnt... maybe there's no logic to it :smt017

I was wrong about it being longer though, I was comparing it to one that had been shortened for some reason, its identical in shape to the one off my L1
Leey
My Bike: Zxr400L8

Post by Leey »

My l8 has got the holes in the rear hugger would like a nice carbon hugger but not the same shape as the orignal
Jack94x
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jack94x »

Yeah that is a bit odd :smt017 Maybe the holes were something that they introduced on later models then for some reason, god knows why though because I can't imagine it's particularly weight saving or anything..
Either way Skidmarx said that their hugger is an exact copy of the shape of the original but doesn't have the holes in so I think I'll give it a try, should look pretty nice in carbon.
I'll upload some pictures when I get it.
Cheers.
Jack
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

yeah never did find out what the holes were for, had a couple with and without
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

I've never found anything explaining the holes but would suggest they allow water to flow out maybe preventing aqua planing in torrential down pours ???

It is a close running hugger compared to some other bikes.
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Jack94x
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jack94x »

Maybe that is why! I'd like to think there was some sort of logic behind it hopefully :smt005 . Even so, my bike never sees the rain so I think I can live without the holes. Should keep the underside of the rear a bit cleaner :smt003
Cheers.
Jack
Jack94x
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Jack94x »

After 3 weeks I finally received my new carbon fibre hugger! It seems to be good quality and it fits well, only differences that I can tell from the original off my L9 is the lack of large holes in the centre and also the new one is a bit longer :smt001
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers.
Jack
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

:-)