ZXR, can it be a good everyday commuter?

Welcome to the ZXRworld forum.

Moderator: Moderators

JakeZXR
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L1

ZXR, can it be a good everyday commuter?

Post by JakeZXR »

My 91 Zxr is my first bike but also probably last for a bit until I get my A license (not old enough yet). I'm aware there old bikes having had old cars for years 3 1980 minis I know how much of a problem in the cold and wet (general every British weather) they can be. My question is do any of you use your bike for everyday commuting, are they good for it? Do they manage?? I ask this aswell due to how some electrics and things seem slightly more exposed than cars obv such as wires under the pillion seat.
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Re: ZXR, can it be a good everyday commuter?

Post by bendog66 »

I used to ride every day on mine, including winter. I used a fuel additive called pro FST (iirc) which helped with carb icing. It's not the best for doing it but it can be done. With it being pretty light as well if you get stuck in the snow it's easy to push until you can get going again... I speak from experience.

After stripping it down and seeing the amount of corrosion etc it caused I'm not going to be doing it again. Never had any trouble with electrics though
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

Like bendog I commuted on mine for two years everyday...no reall issues.

Make due you stay on top of corroded bolts attached to things you need to service. I.e. You are unlikely to be removing your rear subframe any time soon, so if the bolts go a little rusty it's no big deal, however you will need to have quick access to things like fork bottoms, brakes so keep these extra clean and replace bolts that are starting to look dodgy.

Clean out your calipers before and just after the winter salt has come down and try to at least chuck a bucket of water over the bike after you come back from a ride and if possible do it once you have rode to your place of work...helps to keep the salt from sticking to your bike.

Your bike will corrode in winter, it's just a matter of how long it will take...hence why it's taken me a while to get mine looking good again.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
JakeZXR
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 L1

Post by JakeZXR »

Ok well I'll probably just stay on top of it.... Being new as hell to bikes I guess I just get a little paranoid and worry there not as capable mechanically as cars.... Like you say i shall just have to keep it clean as regularly as i can and double check all fixings every week or so
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Been there and done the commuting for years. No issues at all.
rajrakhiria
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by rajrakhiria »

Have used my L9, in winter many times, although I prefer no to use in the rain.....(unless I get caught in it). That's just personal preference. Some extremely cold mornings it may struggle (and I feel guilty), but it's never let me down. If your storing though for a long period of time, prop rear wheel on a stand and the front on carpet (if no stand for both). Protect against flat spot tyres!