Moderator: Moderators

Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Coming soon; hopefully...

Mongol Rally 2014 - UNICEF JustGiving

Post by Vard66 »

Hey guys.

Later this year (albeit not much later now, we're aiming to leave on or slightly before June 1st), two friends and myself are undertaking our own version of the Mongol Rally.

6 weeks out to Ulaanbaatar in outer Mongolia, and we're planning to take 4 weeks to come back via Russia and Scandinavia.

We'll be traveling through between 24 and 27 countries, and covering between 16,000 and 20,000 miles depending on variations in route on the way (namely Ukraine; unless a miracle occurs before mid-August, we'll have to dodge it, and I'll be damn sore to miss the opportunity to photograph the ghost town of Prip'yat', some 25k from Chernobyl).

Here's the proposed route for the trip;

Here's the wagon we chose for the trip;

It's a 1.7DTi (Isuzu engine) Astra G estate. Plenty of space inside, plenty of space on the roof bars, and on good terrain (i.e: roads...) we should see upwards of 60mpg. Really the only downside is that out in eastern Asia, diesel may be a trifle more tricky to get hold of than petrol, but that's the reason for the three 5gal ex-MOD jerry cans strapped to the roof!

I will be taking photographs the whole way along the trip, and at least one of them per day will be appearing on >> my blipfoto page <<, though I cannot guarantee that they will be actually being uploaded daily, but rather in large photo dumps whenever I find somewhere in the back end of nowhere in Asia that has Wifi I can make use of. If you're interested, please open that link and have a looksee; we're aiming to see some incredible things along the way - to name a few; >> The Door To Hell << in Turkmenistan, >> Sedlec Ossuary << in the Czech Republic, >> Pamukkale << in Western Turkey and >> Yolyn-Am << in the Gobi Desert.

Once I'm back, I will be going through what could well be thousands of photographs and uploading a good selection of the ones that don't appear on blipfoto.

This trip is not just folly for us however; like many others participating in the Mongol Rally, we are aiming to raise money for charity, in this case UNICEF. We struggled somewhat to find the right charity fitting in with this journey, considering how many different countries and communities we are visiting along the way, and we wanted to give to a charity that gives to not just one or two, but as many as possible of those countries.

UNICEF do incredible work worldwide. They support children in harsh conditions in Western Mongolia, those in war torn Ukraine (which we are now going to avoid!), and run many projects at home in the UK and many other countries. Wikipedia estimates that 91.8% of money donated to UNICEF goes directly to their operations, and they are deserving of your support.

>> The link for donations is here. <<

Please, please click it, read it, and if you can, donate a few bob!

Even if you don't feel you can donate a few pounds to the page, please, please do feel free to share, repost, and point people at the link, the more we raise the better!

I should also add that there will also be a link added to a sweepstake on how far we make it, when we first f**k up, etc etc.
Vard.
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Re: Mongol Rally 2014 - UNICEF JustGiving

Post by Vard66 »

Hm. NB- Baz, if you feel this would be better in Free For All, please feel free to move it. Announcements just seemed appropriate when I posted.
Vard.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

have made it global for better coverage, good luck with it!! keep us updated with your progress, mate of mine did this a few years ago on a cbr1000 and experienced a few technical problems along the way but made it.All the best !
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Vard66
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Vard66 »

Much obliged, MOI!

If you're interested, the blog is now live, and we will be updating it as frequently as possible; though again I cannot guarantee it will be all that frequently, though with Jon taking his 3G Amazon Kindle, we ought to be able to get online now and then.

>> Here's the link to the blog! <<

Going on Friday now! Scary toad. Definitely excited as hell, but also definitely nervous as hell... confuddled
Vard.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

hey vard, how did it all end for you and harrison? i was following the blog up to a point, i know you didnt quite make it to mongolia, but i lost you after you got into scandinavia...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003